Egg Stratta

31 Dec
As promised, I wanted to share the recipe for Egg Stratta.  It’s tradition that we have this dish on Christmas Day.  Of course there are other times of the year that this amazing breakfast casserole sneaks its way into my life but it will always remind me of Christmas :)
Preheat oven to 350°
You will need:
•Cooking spray
•6 slices of bread
•1 package of bacon
•1 TBS of butter
•8 oz. of cheddar cheese
•6 eggs
•1 cup of milk
•1 tsp dry mustard
•Salt and pepper to taste
Set bread out on a baking sheet either overnight or through the day.  You want it to become “stale” so that it is crispy.  If you are in a pinch for time you could always toast it.
Cook bacon.
It’s best to make sure it is very crispy.
Let the bacon cool and drain on paper towels.
Butter bread slices and cut into chunks.
Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
Place half of bread in casserole dish.
Shred cheese.
Spread half of cheese over bread.
Put the other half of bread over cheese, followed by remaining cheese.
Crack and scramble eggs.
Add milk.
Add dry mustard and mix well.
Pour egg mixture over bread and cheese.
Top with pepper.
Crush bacon into small pieces.  I find that it is easiest to do this in a plastic bag but you can use whatever method works best for you!
Egg Stratta before!
And after.
Slice and enjoy :)

17 Responses to “Egg Stratta”

1. cleaneatingchelsey December 31, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

The Husband would LOVE this stratta recipe!

• allieatfood December 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

It is SO tasty. You can do it without bacon too!

• Karla cardillo January 25, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Was looking for a recipe like this but can’t find mine. Thank you for your recipe. I will be making it this week-end. Your pictures are great, thank you
        Karla

• Karla cardillo January 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

P>S> I will have this dish with added mushroms and onions, Serve it with a salad and/or a vegetable side dish and wha- la dinner Thanks
        Karla

2. Kayla December 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Mmm, this looks so yummy! Great photos!

3. Kailey- The Caffienated Nut December 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

eggs + cheese + bacon in a casserole? YES PLEASE!

• allieatfood December 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

It is the perfect decadent combo for the holidays :)

4. Cara Craves... December 31, 2010 at 8:32 pm #

My husband would probably devour the whole dish!

• BrittFit December 31, 2010 at 9:38 pm #

THESE PICS ARE SO COOL! and im a vegetarian. can this dish be made without bacon????

• Karla cardillo January 25, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Hi I am a vegetarian too. Can’t wait to try this dish but i will add onions and some sliced mushrooms. experiment.

5. Amanda January 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Just stumbled on your blog and I love your photos! Great work! Hopefully I’ll try this recipe out soon! Happy New Year! ~ a fellow Jersey food blogger

6. Picky Nicky January 2, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

This is my first time on your blog, but so far I love it! This looks like a recipe my sister would love (shes a bacon lover!) I’ll have to show her :) Have a happy new year,
    Nicky

• allieatfood January 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

Thanks so much for stopping by! The bacon pulls it all together, it is great!

7. Anna Mullins February 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

You should have made this for our Xmas breakfast at work…it looks amazing!!!!

• allieatfood February 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

I did Anna!! Where were you?! Haha :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks